Addis Ababa is the capital of Ethiopia. This city has a population of approximately 3 million people. Ethiopia is listed in the top 10 countries for the worst human development index worldwide.
- Five million, or 16% of all children in Ethiopia are orphans.
- One in every 13 children dies before his first birthday.
- More than 33% of children under the age of 5 are malnourished.
- Four out of 5 families live on less than $2.00 (USD) a day.
- In rural areas, less than 1 in 3 families have access to a clean water source.
At least 50,000 Ethiopian children are born with congenital heart disease annually, but many will be unable to afford life-saving surgery.
Medical Mission Trip:
December 4 – 18, 2010
An International Children’s Heart Foundation team visited the Cardiac Hospital of Ethiopia in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia for the first time in December 2010. The team, led by Dr. Gopi Chand Mannam, performed 22 cardiac procedures. These children would not have survived without the team and the support of Mending Kids International.